Muri Nukupure Tapere, Ngatangiia District, Cook Islands | (682) 28033

Nukupure Tapere, Ngatangiia District, Cook Islands | (682) 28033

FAQ - Car Rentals Rarotonga

Use this list to answer any questions you may have when renting a vehicle from Pacific Rental, we have taken the most asked questions and created a list of Frequently Asked Questions, if you still can't find the answer then use our Contact us page to get in touch.

What currency is accepted in Cook Island

The currency in the Cook Islands is the New Zealand Dollar (NZD). We accept payment in New Zealand Dollars only.

What method of payment do you accept?

We accept directly the following types of credit card payments: VISA, MasterCard, Bank Transfer and Cash.

Is a bond required?

A bond is required to secure a booking at the time of vehicle collection. A credit card or cash to cover miscellaneous charges, the applicable insurance excess. The amount of deposit is not debited to the card at the rental collection; an authority is taken until the conclusion of rental when the applicable deposited amount may be debited. The deposit can be made with Visa, Mastercard.

What is including in the rate?

Unlimited kilometres, government tax (V.A.T. 15%), Standard Insurance.

Standard Insurance

standard insurance is included in the rental rate with an excess of $2000 regardless of who is at fault. This includes Third Party Liability and Collision Damage Waiver. You may wish to purchase the Excess reduction for $10 per day, this reduces your excess of $2000 to $500.

Can I pay on arrival

 To secure your booking, prepayment is required.

What age do I have to be to rent a vehicle?
All drivers must be 18 years or older.

What is a full driver licence?
A full driver's licence is a document permitting you to drive without restriction or special conditions on a public road

Do I need a Cook Islands Licence?
No, you are able to drive on your current overseas licence. However, it must be valid for the class of vehicle hired, it also must be a FULL licence and be in English or an English translation must accompany the licence.
Visitors from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, UK and the EU can now drive in the Cook Islands for up to six months using their full overseas license; provided it does not expire, is revoked, suspended or disqualified in that time.  On an overseas license, you will only be allowed to drive the class of motor vehicle that you are entitled to drive in your home country.

Do we have to pay for additional drivers?
Yes, any additional driver is charged $10 extra.

Do I pay late return fee?
Yes, an extra fee of  $20/hr for Cars, 10/hr Scooter and eBikes will be applied. 

Do I need to refuel?
Yes. All vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel at the commencement of the hire period and should be returned with a full tank. Should the vehicle be returned not full of fuel, the cost of the fuel and a re-fuelling fee of NZ$20.00 will be charged.

Do you hire child seats?
Child seats are not mandatory in the Cook Islands. If needed, we advised that you bring your own or contact Coco Tots for baby equipment hire here on Rarotonga.

How will I pick up my car I'm arriving on an early morning flight ?
Please contact us for pickup arrangements

How do I know if a reservation is confirmed?
you’ll receive a confirmation by email once your booking has been processed. 

What do I need to pick up my booking?

You will need a copy of your reservation confirmation, drivers licence and passport.